Today, we will look at the cheap tuition universities in Romania, tuition fees, how to apply and academic requirements. Romania is a south-eastern European country known for the forested region of Transylvania, ringed by the Carpathian Mountains.
Its preserved medieval towns include Sighişoara, and there are many fortified churches and castles, notably cliff top Bran Castle, long associated with the Dracula legend. Bucharest, the country’s capital, is the site of the gigantic, Communist-era Palatul Parlamentului government building.
How to Apply
To be eligible to apply to study in Romania, the student should be at least 17 years old. It is also vital to know that you will need to forward your applications directly to your university of choice. The documents you will require when applying to Romanian universities are as follow but not limited to these:
- Application form for diploma recognition (EU, EEA or Swiss applicants)
- For undergraduate applicants: certified copy of the Baccalaureate Diploma or equivalent
- For postgraduate applicants: certified copy of graduation certificate
- Certified copy of academic record translated into Romanian, English, French or German
- Certified copy of birth certificate
- A medical certificate specifying that the candidate does not have any contagious diseases and explaining the applicant’s health status
- Certified copy of passport
- A statement specifying that the applicant’s high-school diploma (Baccalaureate Diploma) enables him/her to apply for bachelor’s degree studies
- Language certificate, except for applicants coming from countries where the official language is the language of instruction (this certificate can be obtained from the university after passing a test before enrolment)
- Two recent photos
Education in Romania – three cycles:
Bachelor studies with length depending on the specialty:
6 semesters (3 years) for sciences, humanities, social and economic, law, political science, fine arts and sport;
8 semesters (4 years) for technological sciences, engineering, technical Ingenerate, agriculture and forestry;
12 semesters (six years) for general medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and architecture.
University studies of master: 2 years.
Postgraduate/doctoral studies (PhD): 3-4 years, which can be organized (except medical school) as regular courses, courses in reduced frequency or online at the universities or research institutes.
The qualifications of the higher education system are: diplomas, certificates, degrees and other official documents of state, special diet, confirming the higher education program and graduate professional qualifications.
Bachelor degree (BA);
Degree of Doctor (Ph.D.). This is the highest academic degree awarded in all areas after 3-4 years of study and original research. It follows the first university degree (master) is given the title of doctor in a certain field of science or the arts.
Student living cost in Romania is so cheap especially when compared to other European countries. The monthly amount can vary depending on the lifestyle of each international student.
Yet, with 300 to 500 EURO/ month, an international student can live very comfortably and enjoy affordable University education in Romania.
Below is approximate student living cost in Romania:
Student hostel: 650 Euro/month (3 person/room!),
Private apartment: 150 – 300 Euro/month,
Food:150 – 200 Euros,
Clothes: you must take in account that you need at least winter and summer clothes,
Medical insurance: 10 Euro/ month (26 year or less students do not paid assures. It is include in their tuition fee),
Internet: 15 Euros,
Taxi: approximately 0.32 Euro/km;
Sandwich: 2 Euro;
Tuition fees in Romania vary from institution to institution. Usually they are between €2,000 and €5,000 per year (US$2,500 – 6,300) depending on the faculty and the home country of the student. Medicine might be slightly more expensive, reaching about €7,000 per year (US$8,800) at some Romanian universities.
Students who need a visa to study in Romania must pay the tuition fee in one installment before making their visa application each year. For students who do not require a Romanian student visa, fees can be paid in one, two or three installments.
The application deadline might be extended by the Ministry of Education and Research or by universities till 30 August, but we strongly advise you to apply early. In such way you will have more chance to be admitted and we will have enough time to pre-process your application form and documents before handing them to the Ministry of Education and Research for consideration.
The successful late application candidates may result in late issuance of their acceptance letters extending till the beginning of October.
The medical faculties have two deadlines for the post-graduate studies: on 30th of November and another on 31st of March. There is non-deadline for PhD applicants.
Foreign students, who have begun to study in their home country or in another country, can finish their studies in Romania. This depends on each individual case, after the recognition and equivalence of diplomas.
Students coming from countries within the EU or European Economic Area (EEA), as well as those from Canada, Croatia, Japan, Moldova, South Korea, Switzerland, the US and Serbia do NOT need a visa to study in Romania. All others need to apply for a student visa prior to arrival in Romania.
You need a letter of acceptance to study at a university in Romania, from the Ministry of Education, in order to apply. Student visas take up to two months to process. After you arrive in the country, you need to extend your visa and obtain a residence permit. For more information, contact the Romanian Office for Immigration within the Romanian Ministry of Administration and Interior.
Documents Required for Visa Processing
Documents you need in order to apply for a student visa:
- Letter of acceptance from Romanian Ministry of Education
- Proof of tuition fees payment for one year
- Proof of sufficient means of support for entire period specified in the visa (approximately €2,500/US$3,153)
- Criminal record certificate or another document of the same legal value
- Medical insurance for the entire period of the visa validity
- Approval of parents or foster parents in connection with the stay on Romanian territory for study purposes, if the student is a minor.
List of Cheap Tuition Universities and Colleges in Romania
Public Universities and Colleges
- 1 Decembrie 1918 University, Alba Iulia
- Vasile Alecsandri University of Bacău
- Henri Coandă Air Force Academy
- Transylvania University of Braşov
- Polytechnic University of Bucharest
- Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest
- Ion Mincu University of Architecture and Urbanism
- University of Agronomical Sciences and Veterinary Medicine
- University of Bucharest
- Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies
- National University of Music Bucharest
- Bucharest National University of Arts
- Caragiale University of Theatrical Arts and Cinematography
- National Academy of Physical Education and Sport
- National School of Administration and Political Science of Bucharest
- Technical Military Academy of Bucharest
- Carol I National Defence University
- National Academy of Intelligence
- Alexandru Ioan Cuza Police Academy
- Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
- University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Cluj-Napoca
- Babeş-Bolyai University
- Iuliu Haţieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Gheorghe Dima Music Academy
- Art and Design University of Cluj-Napoca
- Ovidius University
- Maritime University of Constanţa
- Mircea cel Bătrân Naval Academy
- University of Craiova
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Craiova
- University of Galaţi
- Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iaşi
- Ion Ionescu de la Brad University of Agricultural Sciences
and Veterinary Medicine of Iaşi
- Alexandru Ioan Cuza University
- Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy
- George Enescu University of Arts of Iaşi
- University of Oradea
- University of Petroşani
- University of Piteşti
- Petroleum-Gas University of Ploieşti
- Eftimie Murgu University of Reşiţa
- Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu
- Nicolae Bălcescu Land Forces Academy
- Ştefan cel Mare University of Suceava
- Valahia University of Târgovişte
- Constantin Brâncuși University
- Petru Maior University of Târgu Mureş
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Târgu Mureş
- Theatre University of Târgu Mureş
- Politehnica University of Timișoara
- Banat University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine
- West University of Timişoara
- Victor Babeş University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Timişoara
Private Institutions and Universities
- Tibiscus University of Timişoara
- Mihai Eminescu University of Timişoara
- Dimitrie Cantemir University of Târgu Mureş
- Romanian-German University of Sibiu
- Commercial Academy of Satu Mare
- Constantin Brâncoveanu University
- Partium Christian University
- Emanuel University of Oradea
- Agora University
- Drăgan European University of Lugoj
- Mihail Kogălniceanu University of Iaşi
- Apollonia University
- Petre Andrei University of Iaşi
- Danubius University
- Andrei Şaguna University of Constanţa
- Sapientia University
- Bogdan Vodă University of Cluj-Napoca
- Baptist Theological Institute of Bucharest
- Vasile Goldiş West University of Arad
- George Bacovia University of Bacău
- Dimitrie Cantemir Christian University
- George Bariţiu University of Braşov
- Titu Maiorescu University
- Nicolae Titulescu University
- Romanian-American University
- Hyperion University
- Spiru Haret University
- Bioterra University
- Ecological University of Bucharest
- Gheorghe Cristea Romanian University of Arts and Sciences
- Athenaeum University
- Artifex University
- Roman Catholic Theological Institute of Bucharest