In this article, we will look into the cheap tuition universities in Monaco, tuition fees, cost of living, admission requirements and how to get a study visa. Monaco is located on the Mediterranean coast of France with a population of just under 40,000 people. Monaco is famous for its tourism, hospitality industries, and the Formula One racing event.
Many people are confused about the status of Monaco. Like San Marino, which is an independent state within Italy, Monaco is also an independent city-state linked to France.
International students, therefore, might want to choose Monaco to get the first-hand experience of things related to those industries. As a matter of fact, the most famous university here is known for business courses related to all things sports, tourism and Management. The MBA is rated among the best in the world.
Population: 38,499 (2016) World Bank
Why you should study in Monaco
Apart from the great opportunity to learn firsthand about how a first class tourist industry is organized and run, students coming to Monaco would have the opportunity to learn about marine life studies.
The exceptional tertiary educational standard affords the student the chance to learn the history of a unique and beautiful country, endowed with many natural and cultural attractions.
Cost of living in Monaco
Monaco is sometimes called the ‘Playground of the rich.’ This is reflected in the very high cost of living. For instance rent for apartments is about 85% higher than in Paris the French capital.
And in comparison to London in the UK, the cost of rent is about 76% higher in Monaco. And don’t forget London is one of the most expensive cities to live in. This puts Monaco in a different class as far as the cost of living is concerned.
Along with the cost of living is the very high standard of living. So for those who can afford to rent a room in Monaco, they would enjoy a quality of life fit for royalty.
However, students can commute from outside Monaco to school. For instance, the community of Beausoleil is just about 5 minutes’ drive from Monaco.
So unless budgetary constraint is the least of your concern, living in Monaco is out of the question.
In line with the high cost of living, the tuition fees in Monaco tertiary institutions are also quite high in comparison with other European countries.
Tuition fees in Monaco vary according to the school, program and whether or not the student is an international student. On the average though, tuition starts at around $8000 per academic session.
The International University of Monaco charges on average about €10, 500 per session for undergraduates courses.
You would need a visa study in Monaco. However, there is a difference between visa requirements for living in Monaco and living in France
Monaco student visa
To get a student visa to live in Monaco, you need to go to the online visa application portal. Follow these steps next
- English speakers should click on the British flag to get an English version
- The select ‘Visit France’
- Next, select ‘where do I apply’
- Choose your country and the nearest French embassy to your location
- Click ‘Visa section’
- Then select ‘Visa for Monaco’ and ‘Long stay student’
- Then download the application form and fill it
- Documents required for Visa
- Proof of enough funds to live in Monaco
- Your police record of the last two years
- Proof you have a place to stay in Monaco
- Valid passport
- Birth certificate and marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Admission letter from the University.
- Medical insurance
- 4 passport sized photographs
- Submission of completed form
After filling the form, put it together in a file with all the required documents and submit it to the French embassy close to you.
All international students must also apply for a residency visa when they arrive in Monaco. The residency visa can be obtained from the Police Centre in Monaco.
At the Police Centre, ask for an official file and a date to meet with the visa inspector who would guide you through the process of obtaining your residency visa.
The following documents are needed to get a residency visit:
- All the documents required for a student study visa (above)
- Your Monaco visa
- Student card
- Passport photographs
Students living in France
If you wish to live in France while studying in Monaco, you must get a long-term visitor visa called VLS-TS. It is valid for one year.
Universities/Tertiary institutions in Monaco
- The International University of Monaco is the premier tertiary institution in Monaco. The University offers undergraduate and graduate programs in business and business administration.
The university is famous around the world for its excellent MBA program.
- Charles III College, Monaco
- University of Southern Europe, Monaco
- Technical Lycee of Monte Carlo focusing on hotel management, specialized education, and business